In this article, we will introduce the installation instructions for the popular solar-led street lights on the market. There are mainly two types of solar street lights, split solar street lights and integrated solar street lights. Especially the installation of the all-in-one solar street light is very simple, and the installation can be completed in a few minutes.
7 Mistakes of Solar Street Lights Installation
The seven (7) incorrect installation methods for solar street lights that our customers have informed us about are listed below:
- There are shadows in the solar panel setup. Usually, the shadow cast by trees, buildings, wires, and other obstructions significantly reduces the solar panel’s charging efficiency. Note that even small shadows on the solar panel can cause a large reduction in the power of the entire solar panel. Since a solar panel’s chips are typically arranged in many strings, if a deeper shadow falls on one cell in a string, the entire string of solar chips won’t function. If the solar panel is a string, the whole solar panel will not generate electricity. The video in the end of this post shows how the shadow impact the solar panel power.
- There is another light source next to the solar panel. In such a case, the solar panel’s charging voltage would be higher than the voltage at which lights are controlled. This would prevent the LED from turning on. For example, there are other street lights next to the solar street light. When night falls, the side street lights illuminate, causing the solar panel to detect the light source and misinterpret it as daytime. At this time, the controller will turn off the LED.
- The lights are installed on both sides, and the solar panels are tilted face to face. The solar panel installer may tilt and symmetrically arrange the panels for aesthetic purposes. However, if one side is correctly oriented, the other must be incorrect. But, since sunlight cannot directly hit the solar panel, its charging efficiency is reduced.
- The solar panel is installed at an incorrect angle, resulting in low solar panel charging efficiency. The correct angle adjustment of the solar panel follows a simple principle: let the sunlight directly hit the solar panel to maximize charging efficiency. In different places, the angle of inclination of the solar panel can refer to the local latitude. The latitude is how much the solar panel is inclined horizontally. As a result, it is critical to adjust the angle of the solar panel for different latitudes and road surfaces.
- The solar panel is placed indoors to charge. Some customers install solar lights in the parking shed to facilitate overnight parking. But at the same time, the solar panels are also installed in the shed. In this way, the charging effect of the solar lamp is greatly reduced. Preferably, you can install the solar panel outside alone.
- The cable between the solar panel and the light is too long. Given the shading issue at the installation site, a long distance between the solar panel and the lamp is required. Some customers will separate the solar panel and the lamp by 10 meters or more. And then, buy two-core random wires from the market to connect the solar panel and the lamp. The problem here is if the connected wire is too thin and the wire length is too long, it will lose large energy from the wire. This reduces the charging efficiency of the entire solar light.
- The on-site personnel does not use the engineering remote control correctly. This causes a parameter setting error and prevents the light from turning on. Particularly, do not attempt to change the voltage and current parameters of any battery and solar panel on your own.
Matters needing attention
⑴“All-in-one” will not work without sun. Please select the matched product model according to the Sunlight intensity of the install location or the total annual radiation of solar energy. In the lacking sunlight or long continuous rainy day area, the working time of solar lights can be shortened or can not be light, All-in-one light with the mains supply or solar dual-mode electric power supply is suggested to choose in such case.
⑵All-in-one” selects a long-life lithium battery as an energy storage device. Discharge condition at night is at temperature – 20℃ ~ + 60℃, battery performance will be damaged beyond this range. Please make sure the local extreme temperature does not exceed the above condition when selecting the “All-in-one”. ⑶“All-in-one” battery after fully charged, the longest store time can be up to six months. Check the battery in time after a long time of transport or storage, charge, and record it regularly. Otherwise, the battery will be damaged.
⑷When installing “All-in-one”, make the solar panel towards the direction of the sun as possible in order to get maximum energy and avoid houses and the shadow of obstacles such as trees at the same time, otherwise, it will reduce the generating efﬁciency of the solar panel, and lead to “All-in-one” working time being shortened.
⑸“All-in-one” solar panel surface’s degree of cleanliness also affects the generating efﬁciency of the solar panel. So its surface (such as dust, leaves, greasy dirt, etc.) needs to be cleaned, scrubbing with ordinary cleaner on a regular time is suggested.
⑹“All-in-one” internal parts are with good waterproof design, all reach IP65 standard. Ventilation holes and cracks on the shell are specially designed for cooling and drainage. Metal parts are all made of corrosion-resistant aluminum or stainless steel, which can tolerate the strict environment of the sea or high heat and high humidity desert.
5W-20W Installation steps
(1) Select the best day-lighting location to set up the pole. Pole 3-5 meters high is appropriate, diameter 40 ~ 100mm, Thickness more than 2.0mm iron rod or steel rod.
(2) Open the packaging and check if components are completed. Contained
(3)Turn on the switch before installation.
( 4) Put integrated solar light into the pole, fasten the screws with special tools, and ensure the light is ﬁrm.
30W-60W solar street lights Installation steps
Steps (1) to (3) same as the 5-15W installation steps
(4) Put integrated solar light into the pole, fasten the screws with special tools
(5)The integration of solar energy lamps set into the lamp, use a special tool for fastening screws, ensure lamps can be stable.
80W-100W solar lights Installation steps
1 open the cartons to take out the integrated solar street lights and parts, but the light flatwise (solar panels face down).
2 Placed the support base to the light installation position, make these screw holes with the light’s alignment.
3 Screw with the M8 round head hex socket screws, then tightens with a wrench.
The installation on a light pole
1 First turn ON the switch.
2 Set the light is assembled with support base on the light pole, adjust the direction.
3 Screw with the M8 Cup head hex socket screws on the tube of the support base.
4. Tighten with a wrench, and make the light firmly fixed on the light pole.
⑴Solar controller is the core component of solar street lights have the function of light control, time control, charging and discharging, etc. Keep it dry in use, and do not touch the buttons at discretion. Malfunction must be in professional operation.
⑵Solar panel is the most extended service life of components in the solar street light, which can be used for 35 years. And in use, if it doesn’t rain for days, the surface of the solar panel will gather much soil dust, which will affect the power generating efﬁciency manual cleaning when necessary. Keep the solar panel towards the south, correct it timely if there is a swing.
⑶LED light source has a long service life, the general failure rate is extremely low. Dirt cleaning of the whole light source is needed when using 2 to 3 years in case the dirt resists electricity and reduces the brightness of lights.
⑷The battery itself has a certain self-discharge, when the integrated solar light is not in use for a long time, please take out the light regularly for charging in the sun.